April 7, 2014

Game 1 - 3/28 at Miller Park

I had a hard time falling asleep on Thursday night. Sure, I was counting down the days until the season started (just like I suspect most of you were), but it truly didn't hit me until I finished packing for this weekend. In less than 24 hours, I would be walking out of Miller Park with one game under my belt in 2014.

I had a single class to get through before flooring it to Milwaukee. All we did was go over some homework, so there was nothing to distract me from thinking about the important things that would be happening later. I was especially looking forward to tonight because I FINALLY got to meet up with my best Ballhawk buddy Shawn again. The last time we were at a game together was July, and we kept in contact really well since then. Over the last 8 months, we've actually become pretty good friends. Lots of conversations during the off-season were completely unrelated to baseball. Now that he knows me much better, he's willing to let me tag along and take advantage of the connections he's built from being a regular at Miller Park. He often (read: "always and constantly") complains about the stadium, but in my opinion, he gets plenty of special privileges to make up for everything that's anti-Ballhawk about it.

After the three and a half hour drive, I parked along 52nd street, just north of the ballpark. Since I started going for balls rather than tailgating, it's an easy way to save $15 on a trip up. Even better, since tailgating is a given for almost everyone going to the game, there will always be plenty of spots.

The walk is about a mile, and I was in a hurry. It was only 3:15 , just about four hours before game time. Even when I was THAT early, Shawn was still on my case about being late. Sure, I missed a LITTLE bit of Brewers BP, but that was just fine. I usually only have 90 minutes after the regular gate opening time, so I was grateful to get anything beyond that.

The park was looming right in front of me the entire walk. At least 10 times, I looked down at the ground and then back towards the park. Every single time, my stomach dropped due to the realization that my season started TODAY, and baseball was once again back in my life.


When I got to the home plate gate, I hooked a left to meet Shawn at Friday's. The restaurant is open all year round, and just so happens to be overlooking the field. Shawn knows plenty of people there, and (technically) gets into the stadium as early as he wants for night games.


As soon as I walked up, he insisted we play some catch to warm up. Lining up my glove with a ball and getting some timing down actually helped. After a few throws, I felt more prepared and ready to go than at any other game I've ever Ballhawked.

Once we went inside, we started to have a casual conversation as Shawn sauntered past five stadium employees, greeting each one for the first time this year. After lingering for a few minutes while waiting for the patio doors to open, we stepped out to see the field at 4:00; an hour and 40 minutes before the gates officially opened.


Everything was so calm. I didn't have to run, no music was playing, and there was almost no noise. The place was almost completely empty. With Shawn right next to me and available to help with anything I needed or had questions about, I wasn't worried about a single thing. So far, this was fantastic.

Not two minutes after we stepped out here, we saw Jeremy Guthrie running sprints in left field. Even better, he was making his way back to the foul line with two baseballs right in his path. After I got his attention, he picked one up and launched it towards me from more than 100 feet away. I had to lean over the railing and a table on my left as far as I could, but it still fell short and landed the gap behind the wall.

Ah, but lucky for me, this is the best Glove Trick area in the entire park! Shawn has been threatened to be arrested for trespassing when he's used it, but he said I was free to do whatever I want. (Seriously. Some people really have it out for him and flat out hate Ballhawks).

I struggled to untangle the cheap string I had in my bag. There were knots everywhere, and I didn't know if I'd have enough to make it all the way down. I used every inch of my height and every fiber of string, and could barley graze the top of the ball. I needed at least another 6 inches.

I quickly pulled it up and tried not to panic. It was only me and Shawn out there, but there was always the chance someone down below could pick it up before I pulled my stuff together. Shawn wasn't helping with his snide remarks about how easy it was, either. "Literally could have had that 7 times by now.....eight....Are you sure you've done this before? Sure doesn't look like it". I was trying to pull it away from the outfield wall and closer to me in order to make it easier to reach. Whenever I had it in a good spot, my next try would just move it right back. Very frustrating. Embarrassing, too. By now, I had a crowd.

Eventually, after literally almost 15 minutes, I got it close enough right below me to FINALLY get it in the glove:


Here it is - the first of many to come in what I believe will be a legendary season:


I checked the time. It was 4:18. I was on the board and hour and twenty-two minutes before anyone else was allowed in the park. Shawn, I don't care what you think. You've got more advantages than disadvantages here, buddy.

Now that I could relax and hang out since I had one in the bag, I took a look around. I'll skip most of the pictures, besides this one:


Shawn used to have season tickets in the front row of that Toyota territory. With over 2,000 balls, he's started chasing the important ones - game home runs. He's got 33 of them. Here's one, here's another, and here's the best one. At the end of last season, they told him his seat wasn't there anymore. He would have to pick a new one. When he heard that, he went through a series of mini heart/panic attacks. That front row is pretty much the only decent place to catch gamers in the entire park.

Long story short, instead of making it a reserved party area, it's completely general admission in the front half. The back can be rented out for 40 of the 81 games a year, but is otherwise general admission as well. Here's a view from the right field bleachers looking down on it:


Aside from the fact that 40,000 people want to check out the new addition, he's very happy with how it played out.

Eventually, the restaurant opened their OTHER patio. This one was less covered and out more towards center field.


Two balls were hit up here on the fly. Like typical me, I couldn't make it to the landing spot for either of them. Shawn sneaked past me and got the first one. I easily could have made it there, but just...stopped. He asked what the problem was, and we discussed how to fix it. He offered tips to help me overcome those issues, as well as how to better judge fly balls in general. This is why he's awesome and I love talking to him, especially at a game. He really wants to help me out and see me improve.

Shawn stealthily used his own Glove Trick to grab one off the moat/screen above the Brewer's bullpen.


He has a separate glove all ready to go, and uses military grade paracord that doesn't tangle. It took him less than 10 seconds from opening his bag to putting his stuff away. He thought nothing of it, but I was in shock at how prepared he was in addition to all the people he knows at the stadium. Even with all the negative things included, this made me want to become a regular even more. Not at Miller Park (God no...), but somewhere. Eventually. Hopefully.

Shortly after this, we left Friday's in preparation for the REAL gate opening time at 5:40. Something I never knew is that, even as a casual fan, I could wait INSIDE at this time and have an easier route to the bleachers. All we had to do was run 15 feet, make a right, and go up the stairs. Much shorter and quicker than the route I usually take.


Apparently there's another guy that's sometimes stationed here that lets them up at 5:30. It's not rare that Shawn and his Ballhawk friends grab everything that lands in left field in a matter of minutes. Amazing. I just can't believe what I've missed out on for the past few years. Have I overlooked things like this at Wrigley too?

Shawn, myself, and three other guys sprinted up the stairs to start looking for hidden balls. I was more towards the end of the pack, and missed out on most of the Easter Eggs. I was about to give up and focus on the field until I saw a pearl sitting at a kid's feet (he was in the 14 to 15 range) in the very front row. I assumed he put it down or dropped it...but he didn't do anything. I acted like I didn't know it was down there and made my way over. As soon as I started to bend down, he turned his back and walked away.

Alright then. Finders keepers.

Dramatic Reenactment a minute later.
I reserved some real estate in-between  sections 237 and 238:


And the other guys did the same in different areas:


The guy with the blue jacket on the left is Kenny, the guy wearing the gold jersey is Jake, Shawn is all the way over there with his hand up, and a young kid named Larry and his brother are up that aisle over there. We nearly outnumbered non-Ballhawks for a good 15 minutes.

I was working on my chasing and judging the whole time, with Shawn always around to give tips. I was never in the right place for one, but I was getting much, much better. I thrived on the energy these guys were giving off with their banter and comments. I felt more relaxed and prepared than I ever had before in BP. Usually I'm the one who sticks out because of my glove and all my running around. Today, it sort of felt like anyone who showed up was intruding on our little environment.

Anyway, let's fast forward a little. I don't have a time frame for when this happened, but it wasn't TOO far into the Royals portion of BP.

We all moved from place to place in the bleachers, and I eventually ended up just about where Shawn was in that previous picture. Just like what happened a dozen of times earlier, a right handed batter (who still remains unnamed) launched one towards us. It looked nice and straight, coming to my general vicinity. I took this as another 'practice', and tried to measure up the distance while staying in line with it. I was concentrating, but couldn't help but notice people were closing in around ME.

In a brief moment of a slow motion reality, I took one last step, but my arm up and opened my glove just like I did earlier when playing catch. POP. It hit some of my thumb and a lot of pocket....and it stuck! I immediately put my arms out to my side, looking for Shawn to exclaim "DID YOU JUST SEE THAT?!"

He was two rows behind me, standing on the seats and watching from afar. "I hope you appreciate the history you just witnessed", I said in a cocky tone.

"I was back here the whole time. I almost stepped in front of you...twice...but eventually decided not to. I said to myself  'No, not a good idea. He'd probably start to cry'". Well, regardless, thanks dude.

Glove Trick rubber band still around the wrist.
I was quietly optimistic. If I was able to get another on the fly, I would be on fire. I just felt it. This could be the start of something great. Everything....EVERYTHING was going my way. It all was a huge confidence booster.

Now the next thing is embarrassing. Just today, after three full years of going to BP, did I learn how the process worked. Every time the balls are picked up and returned to the pitcher, a new group starts to hit. You can see who's in the group (usually four, sometimes five guys) by looking at who's hanging around the cage. They aren't split second changes either. Each guy hits a few rounds, so a group can be out there for about 15 minutes.

That being said, a new group came up, and it looked like mostly lefties. To right field we went.


It felt so odd and unnatural, which probably means I've never spent significant time here while Ballhawking. 

I actually felt uncomfortable here and realized I like left field at Miller Park a lot more. Nothing worth remembering happened on my end. The only entertaining event was when Larry, the younger one who I mentioned earlier, ALMOST got one one the fly. It slipped out of his glove as he was pulling it down. I feel ya, kid.


At the very end of BP, Shawn and I went down to check out the renovated Toyota Territory; the place he'll be spending most of his season.


I kind of liked it. Since it was a reserved area in the past, I've never had this view at Miller Park. Shawn is very pleased with the larger space. He also didn't have to argue with the ushers that patrol this section, who are the ones that hate him most. I wished I could have hung out with him in his regular spot for some of the game, but he wanted to take advantage of the empty bleachers in left field that gave him an even better chance of getting a game home run. They didn't sell tickets for those sections, but kept some of them open for people to sit in.

We said our goodbyes for the time being and headed our separate ways. I was SUPER excited to get to my seat. It's pretty much the single best place to catch a foul ball in any major league park. Section 219, row 10, seat 1.


Is that not beautiful? This one is even better:


Oh. Yes.

Last year when I was in this general spot, I was off to the right a little bit. My seat was actually in the Family Section, which favored right handed batters. Now I was right in the middle, ready to dart off in either direction whenever a ball made it over the screen. These sections have PERFECT conditions that allow hundreds of balls to land up here each season.

The Brewers took the field shorty after 7 PM....


Behind their starter....Matt Garza!


For as much as I truly love going to baseball games, I'm not the best at keeping up with roster moves and stats. I now slightly recall seeing he went to the Brewers as a free agent, but I was still surprised. I only saw him pitch one in Chicago, so I was glad he was out there instead of some no name guy.

I was on the edge of my seat for every pitch. I had my feet positioned to jump up and start running either way. I got anxious when stupid people stood in the aisle or right next to me trying to find their seat. I was focused and ready, and it was great. I loved having a goal to achieve.

I was wondering if spending three hours alone would bum me out, but it actually went by very quickly. I'd relax a bit when a ball was hit into the field, and send some texts or check tweets between innings. Being on watch for every single pitch kept me pretty busy.

I was getting slightly frustrated around the 4th inning. There was only one foul ball that I would even consider to be within my range, and that one was even pushing it. What gives? I can understand not getting ten balls, but I was beginning to feel like my time wasn't being put to good use in this spot.

Mike Moustakas stepped to the plate in the 5th. He took a swing that put the ball directly in line with my seat. Usually whenever I jumped up, the ball was going away from me and towards center field after solid contact. It took me less than a second to realize it was finally coming back towards me. This was the one.

I saw it was going to end up short. I stepped down to the 7th row, only to see that it would land three seats inward that were all filled with people. Someone bobbled it out into the aisle, where it took a bounce off the stairs and landed into the seat across from me in the 9th row. I leaned over the railing and wedged my glove into the seat, hoping to cover it before anyone else got there. It was between me and a guy in the 8th row leaning back over his seat. He was trying to get his hands under my glove to knock the ball loose. (Which is quite okay actually. Don't touch my arm or pull my glove away, but do anything you need to do in pursuit of the ball. That includes trying to sneak a finger or two underneath it. No hard feelings here.)

He eventually gave up, leaving me as the only one to pick it up. The thing was, I had no idea if it was in my glove or had fallen through the seat. As soon as he let up, I cautiously pulled my glove away, only to see it wedged deep in the pocket. I had it all along!

Sweet, sweet success.

A crappy/blurry picture, but I didn't want to make it look like I was showing off. So I quickly grabbed this one at the end of the inning and didn't bring out the camera again.
It felt good. Really good. That makes two years in a row where I knew to be in exactly the right place. These moments are my favorite ones that come out of catching balls. To put it simply, I was right. I guessed correctly on every detail, and strategically achieved the one thing many fans would say is based solely on luck.

The actual game on the field was of minimal importance. Hell, as of Monday, it vanished into thin air. I can't find any stats or game notes about it. Plus, keeping track of that stuff wasn't the reason I was here.

No more balls came remotely close, so I went to find Shawn and finish out 9th inning.


In that picture, a handful of people had left the game already. I'll admit that it wasn't that crowded by my seat. That's hard to judge when I'm up there, because a six year old girl in the aisle may as well be a brick wall blocking my path. I love that spot, and will continue to hang out there any chance I get.

Final Score:
Royals - 5
Brewers - 4
Ryan - 4



After the game, Shawn wanted to take a small detour before heading out. Earlier in the game, Billy Butler hit a home run that landed in the Brewers bullpen, where the relievers promptly slammed it into the garbage can. He wanted to ask one of this groundskeeper friends to take a look and fish it out of there. They started in the other bullpen first, and we waited so long that they turned some of the lights off.


It doesn't show too well there, but it was pretty dark and eerie. We were one of the first people in, and almost assuredly the last people out. He never got the ball, because "You don't ask a man to dig through a trash can filled with sunflower seeds and dip spit after a long first day back at work".

STATS
  • 4 balls at this game
  • 4 balls total this season
  • 22 consecutive games with a ball
  • 68 lifetime balls
  • Time spent at game: 7 hours, 40 minutes
  • Total time spent at games in 2014: 7 hours, 40 minutes
  • 4 balls X 11,000 = 44,000 Competition Factor


1 comment:

  1. Nice post. Thanks for the mention! I also mentioned you in my post. Have a good season!
    -Larry
    http:/curveblog.mlblogs.com

    ReplyDelete