August 15, 2013

Game 13 - 6/25 at Miller Park

I was rested and re-focused. It was time for another road game, mainly to see my new Ballhawk friend, Shawn.


Shawn is really the only guy who I talk to and can sympathize with about catching balls. We started Tweeting at each other a couple weeks before we met at Miller Park on March 30th:


Despite getting to know him better through the screen, today would be only the second time we would be at a stadium together. There have been a couple near misses and cancelled games since March, but that's mostly my fault. He goes to pretty much every Brewers home game, and today was only my second time up here. He would be there to once again help me out with a not so easy game:


I really can't catch a single break, can I?

Shawn, however, was doing just as well as he always does:


If you were paying close attention, you can see that Shawn is in the Friday's Front Row. Usually, they require a $30 minimum order per table. He goes to Miller Park so often that he's become sort of invisible to Friday's employees. He doesn't take up a table; he just stands behind them and tries to get as many balls as he can before the real gates open. He grabbed this one at approximately 4:03, more than an hour and a half before I would be inside.

Speaking of the gates, I got screwed. Since I've been going to games up here, the Cubs are always a Marquee opponent. The Brewers just charge more because they know Cub fans like to come up and watch. In years past, a Marquee game meant earlier gate times, too. I was all ready and focused at 4:50 to run in when they opened at 5:10.

Bur for some moronic reason, Shawn informed me this was not the case. Today it would be 5:40, just like crappy US Cellular. (I mean it's not that crappy, it's just frustrating when I know I may only get 30 minutes of ball catching time). Turns out that Miller Park opens two hours early on the weekends only nowadays. I find that pretty bogus, especially since those are always more crowded. Although, that's a pretty interesting trade-off for someone like me - competition for extra time.

The worst part was that I now had to stand outside for another 50 minutes, waiting to meet my impending doom. I assumed that since Shawn knows all, there would be nobody on the field when I got in. But to make it even WORSE, I had to watch hundreds, perhaps thousands, of little leaguers line up behind me.


If this was any other game, I would have gone back out and  tried to join a friendly stranger's tailgate. I still had a tiny glimmer of hope because of my Cubs shirt and the knowledge I had of my own team. Letting my mind wander for almost an hour was killing me.

Once I got inside, I moved as quickly as I could, trying to cover the most ground. I could have been more thorough while scanning each row, but I was praying a ball would appear rather easily. I may have missed a hidden one, but it was too late to go back and double check.

I went to the upper level right field bleachers, then to left field, then back over to the lower level in right field. In my frantic haste, I passed Shawn twice while switching sides and only managed a wave. We'd catch up later, I was sure of that.

I realized I wouldn't come out with anything after my quick check. I sought out Shawn to ask for advice on what to do and where to go. I just wanted a little help since he knew this place better than anyone.

From right field, we made our way behind the big scoreboard to left. While walking, he went as far as looking on top of pipes 10 feet above us. He has a ruler that extends into a six foot pole to poke them out. He pushed on the outer glass walls of the stadium to see if any balls would drop down. He also pulled back and checked behind tarps where camera equipment and video guys were set up. This is all stuff he's done before, and probably got a ball in each place at one time or another.

We finally came to rest in left field, with the diamond already completely empty.


Meanwhile, look at the line for the little league parade:


None of that mattered now that the field was cleared. As it turns out, everyone behind me in line was either a parent or friend waiting to get a good spot and see their little superstar.


Even though the skies looked just fine outside, the roof remained closed.


It's so massive that it still gives me the creeps whenever I look up at it. I don't care either way whether it's opened or closed, but I will agree it's nice to always have BP and never ever have to deal with makeup games.

It was only 6:15, so Shawn and I chatted in person for only the second time ever. Much of our talk was about Miller Park, since I would like to build a scouting report on my own without having to consult him every time I'm up here.

We also shared what's happened with us since the last time we talked. I feel like we've gone in two very different directions. I'm traveling and trying to get as much experience as possible, while he stays home and goes to the same park day after day after day. He's not too fond of Miller Park, or really Brewer fans in general, but he powers through.

For most of the time before the game, he was looking for chances for me. He'd already gotten three balls, and wanted to help me out.

We were pretty much idle until 6:45, when we both made the decision (separately, not together) to get over to the visitors bullpen. That's where the most pregame action up to this point was taking place.


That's Wellington Castillo on the left. I still didn't know if I should expect this ball or not. It was a good chance, but I specifically remember a little kid standing next to me. Also, with a decent amount of Cub fans, anything could happen.

Shawn thought it was a sure thing. He offered to get some action shots of me, for which I acted as naturally as I could.


After a while, he took my camera up to where he sits. He's made friends at the stadium and sits in a special area, which he has determined is the best place to catch game home runs.

Hi Kyra!
I was really focusing and paying attention. This was not something to take lightly. Nothing should be laid back when I haven't caught a ball yet.

Some time after they were all done, the coach standing behind second base (who Castillo was throwing to) walked over right in front of me and decided I was a worthy recipient.

Shawn tried to catch the ball in the air, but my camera went to sleep after being idle, so this was the shot he got. I'm thanking the aforementioned coach and telling him he's the man for hooking me up.


I thanked Shawn for the pictures, and also for coaching me throughout the day. I didn't type it all out, but he really set my mind straight with advice about Ballhawking in general that made me want to focus and really be the best I could be.

I was going to sit in the cross aisle behind the plate for the game, so I figured this would be goodbye for us. Instead, he asks, "Have time to grab another one? We gotta move fast, though". Of course I was up for it!

We dashed behind the scoreboard, around the left field bleachers, and down the foul line a little bit to an aisle that eventually led me here with just enough time to spare:


Shawn gave way and sat in the next section over while I waited for someone to be done throwing. Within 10 seconds, Cody Random ended up with a ball he was using with Darwin Barney. After being nice and loud while showing the Cubs logo on my chest, Cody obliged.


That's number 55 overall, and number 23 on the season. That broke my single season record of 22 that I set last year. If my two previous games at the Cell had batting practice, I would have gotten to 22 by June 11th for sure. Going over these numbers and what would have happened if not for bad luck gets me really excited. Just imagine the insane numbers I would put up if I could manage to get to two or three games every week like some Ballhawks do.

I said goodbye to Shawn as he made his way back out to right center. Like I said earlier, my plan was to go for more foul balls behind the plate.

Why is Luis Valbuena leading off?
Yes, I did get a ball from the game when I tried this for the first time in March. However, it still may not have been a REAL ball. I thought it was at the time, but it was time to stop with that grey area nonsense and say I actually have one from a game that counted.

I was not the happiest with the seats I was in. First of all, right behind the plate is not as perfect as you would think. Sure, I'm closer to the middle and will maybe have a chance at both sides. But the balls come down so fast that I probably wouldn't be able to get to the landing spot quick enough. In a perfect world, I would pick a section to the right of where I was, to the spot where right handed batters usually foul their balls back.

Beyond that, I had two other bad things going for me. I was in the last row for the first inning, but once people with those tickets showed up, the next closest aisle seat was in row 7. So now, if there was even a ball in the vicinity, I would have to get passed anyone in my way while running up three steps, turn the corner, and run to where it would land. Not only that, but I didn't feel like I would even get a good jump out of my seat. I would have to stand up and turn a 180 before I even started moving.

But whatever, it was the only seat I could find. It was moderately crowded and I didn't want to raise suspicion. I remained hopeful and tried to think of anywhere else to go and get a game used.

I never came up with anything. I stayed up here for the whole game until the bottom of the 8th inning, when I sneaked down near the umpire tunnel.

Still need to remember to change the settings on my camera when the sun goes down....
The Cubs started off pretty well, getting out to a 3-1 lead through the 5th thanks to Nate Shierholtz and his homer that landed directly into a garbage can. Edwin Jackson imploded in the bottom of the 5th, allowing five runs on some small ball and timely shots to the gaps. Rickie Weeks got the big inning started, then crushed two homers in the later innings to pretty much seal up the win.

Here's an unrelated picture I like where I used all my zoom:


Anyway, the Cubs lost 9-3 with Nate's homer being the only offense of the night. I am not impressed, yet glad to have two baseballs to bring home.


Now, I made plans with Shawn to meet up behind the right field bleachers and get a picture together before going home. When I got there, he was nowhere to be seen. I texted him, and he explained that he "had to leave ASAP because (he) broke a few rules retrieving the second Weeks homer".

Take a look right here. He's the one in the brown jersey that drifts across the whole Toyota section. As soon as it lands, he takes off to go do those activities that aren't quite allowed.

I have no plans for July and August. I'll be flying by the seat of my pants and buying tickets at the last minute for any place I can. Then again, I feel that's the best way to do this sort of thing.

STATS
  • 2 balls at this game
  • 23 balls total this season
  • 16 consecutive games with a ball
  • 55 lifetime balls
  • Time Spent at Game: 6 hours, 1 minute
  • Total time spent at games: 73 hours, 0 minutes
  • 2 balls X 30,172 fans =  60,344 Competition Factor

No comments:

Post a Comment