February 22, 2014

MLB Stadium Rankings - Part 1

I used to wonder what I would say if someone offered me a chance to drop everything and go to any one ballpark in the country, no questions asked.

When I was younger, Fenway was always at the top. How could it not be? I was so attached to the Cubs, it made perfect sense to see our American League counterparts in a stadium that's just as beloved by it's fans as Wrigley. As I grew up though, number one would change fairly often. New stadiums were built and teams got better. I wanted to see World Series Champions or step inside the newest stadium as soon as I could, regardless of which team played there.

When I was 16 and Old Yankee Stadium was on it's final legs, I was uncharacteristically sad. Here was this legendary building that was home to one of the most successful baseball teams in the world, and I would never get to see it. Even before New Yankee Stadium opened, I knew I wanted to be a fan of a team like that, even if it was just for a few days.

Well, I got my chance.




So now what? The rather longstanding number one was crossed off my list. By the end of 2012, I was a fully committed and driven Ballhawk. I've read other blogger's adventures and also what baseball players, broadcasters, and fans had to say about who they thought had the best park. Where should I go next?

This question had serious implications. I wanted to start traveling more and more with the overall goal of seeing as many parks as I could (within driving distance, of course). What if I WAS able to drop everything? I needed a plan.

This post was started at the beginning of last season, but ended up being more time consuming than I expected. I got behind in my game entries very quickly, and it sort of faded into my Drafts folder. Now, with a spare few weeks, I want to bring it back.

My rankings come in a series of two, since there are basically two parts to who I am as a fan. I love to travel, experience different cities, and have a particular soft spot for scenery. All of that is what THIS entry focuses on.

Then again, this Ballhawking hobby has become sort of a big deal.


So, I made a list for both. They vary slightly in some places, and drastically in others. It's a very interesting topic for me, because I get to look at it from two completely different perspectives.

This first part is going to be from the regular fan side of things. I've done my best to take my glove off and replace it with a bag of peanuts, just like every other regular guy who loves this game.

Stadium Rankings - Fan Perspective

30 - Tropicana Field, Tampa Bay Rays

This was a no brainer for LAST place. The easiest one out of all of them to choose. It just looks gross and unnatural with that awful turf and godforsaken dome. How do you put a roof on a stadium in the Sunshine State?

29 - Citi Field, New York Mets

This may come as a surprise to you. It was built in 2009, so it obviously isn't falling apart or terrible looking. But let me ask you, what's so great that makes it deserve a spot higher than this? It's enclosed, monstrous, and has no personality. There are plenty (or 28) better places I could spend my time.

28 - Angel Stadium of Anahiem, Los Angeles Angels....of Anahiem

Boy, that's a stupid name for a team. Moving past that - this place was built in 1966! It's almost 50 years old already! It looks decent on TV, but when you really think about it, there's more that could go wrong than right. Old AND boring is a bad, bad combination.

27 - O.co Coliseum, Oakland Athletics

It had to go somewhere, and it rightfully belongs at the bottom. It's SO ugly, though, that I almost like it. It's the only multipurpose stadium still used by two professional teams in America. Even though Oakland isn't a notorious baseball town, A's fans are incredibly devoted. Moneyball was a pretty good movie too.

26 - Minute Maid Park, Houston Astros

I'm almost disappointed I have to put it this low, but it just looks so bland. There's some unique features like the Crawford Boxes and that giant hill, but after opening in 2000, it's in kind of an awkward stage. It's old news, yet too new to have any major changes. I tried to eliminate team performance from these ranks, but the Astros get my vote for most hopeless organization. And I don't like the league switch. It seems unnatural and weird since they were always in the Cubs division. 

25 - Chase Field, Arizona Diamondbacks

Pretty much like Houston and Citi combined. It'll do, and is probably nice inside because they were good enough to have the All Star game a few years ago, but it's just mediocre.

24 - US Cellular Field, Chicago White Sox

I'm probably going to take some heat for this one because of my Cubs loyalty. I have my reasons, though. It really doesn't have that many great features. I know some people will disagree, just like people from the other cities about where I placed their park. This is just how I feel about it. I don't think it has anything to be ranked higher.

23 - Progressive Field, Cleveland Indians

You get to see some great talent here. The Tribe have speed on the bases with Willie Hayes and even more speed from Ricky Vaughn. It would be......hang on.....that wasn't an actual team?

22 - Safeco Field, Seattle Mariners

Now we're getting into the places that aren't so bad. This place isn't so bad.

21 - Comerica Park, Detroit Tigers

I don't have anything against the park exactly, but Detroit is just a depressing place to be right now. It does get my top vote for the low tier grouping, though. Pretty simple place for a simple city. Doesn't seem run down or too fancy and expensive. Fits just right.

20 - Turner Field, Atlanta Braves

Lucky for you, this ends my streak of mediocrity. Every place from here and on out are parks I actually have a genuine curiosity to see. It begins in Atlanta, where I want to see the attitude and personality fans have. There's no other team in the Southern region like the Braves. I feel it's an important place to see how they watch and enjoy baseball here.

19 - Citizens Bank Park, Philadelphia Phillies

They DID model the stands after Shibe Park, which gets a lot of interest from me, but it gets last place for me in that look alike contest. It turned out looking just like a lot of other 'straight edge' retro parks that followed the same style.

18 - "Globe Life Park" (Newly named and terrible), Texas Rangers

Definitely the more favored of the Texas stadiums. It's getting up there in age a little bit, but lucky for them, it still manages to keep it's individuality and unique look as the years pass thanks to it's initial design elements.

17 - Marlins Park, Miami Marlins

What can I say, it's the newest of the new. It's huge...and looks atrocious. I'm also intrigued to see what designers THINK makes a good ballpark. They won't be right in this case, of course, but it's still interesting. This could also be the last new place for quite a long time, assuming the A's or Rays stadium proposals keep getting shot down.

16 - Nationals Park, Washington Nationals

Here's where I start to talk about skylines and views. If you sit in the very last seat in the corner, you can see the Capitol Dome and the Washington Monument at the same time. It's pretty much the skyline of all skylines. But since you can't see them anywhere besides the worst seat in the house, it dropped a few spots.

15 - PETCO Park, San Diego Padres

The team is nothing to be proud of and the stadium is rather normal looking. Once you get outside of the stadium, everything around it is pure beach paradise. Very low key, very relaxing, and probably a great place to enjoy a game from time to time.

14 - Rogers Centre, Toronto Blue Jays

Going international! That's pretty much the only reason I want to go here at all. With SkyDome opening in 1989, there are probably more than a few ugly and unexpected surprises to be found. It was the first stadium with a retractable roof, so there's some history there. Apparently it's still doing a good job, even with the turf, because it gets nowhere near as much negativity as Tampa.

13 - Great American Ball Park, Cincinnati Reds

I personally believe this is one of the most underrated and unrecognized parks out there. Has a unique style with lots of original aspects that make it look different from any other place.  

12 - Kauffman Stadium, Kansas City Royals

Talk about the middle of nowhere. KC isn't known for very much, which makes it perfect. Just like San Diego, I imagine it would be pretty relaxed, because there's not much going on in the surrounding 200 miles or so. There was also major renovations done in the outfield before the 2012 All Star game that brought it up to date. Different and original, as well as quiet and kind of hidden. No other park on this list has all of that.

11 - Miller Park, Milwaukee Brewers 

Miller is getting up there, going into it's 13th year in 2014. Luckily, it still looks brand new aside from a little rust on the exterior. When you consider how it could have looked with 90's architecture and what retractable roofs look like now *coughMIAMIcough*, it deserves a lot of credit. It has a really great design and feel that won't get old in the coming years.

10 - Wrigley Field, Chicago Cubs


Again, I know I'm going to make some people mad by putting it this high, but remember there's still lots of places that beat it. After looking through pictures of all 30 parks and then coming back to this one with all the green and sunshine, it really brings me out of the winter blues. It completely changes my mood and lets me look forward to something. It's amazing when you step inside on a warm summer day and get wrapped up in it all. I still get it every time I go.

Literally every other ballpark had a spot, and this is where Wrigley fell. It was the last one I attached a number to. Continue on, nothing more to see or say here.

9 - Yankee Stadium, New York Yankees


It's not where baseball originated, but this place and this team definitely hold the biggest historical significance in the entire game. The common fan doesn't get to take advantage of the perks that earned this place it's BILLION dollar price tag. There's nothing spectacular about the park itself, but it's New York and the Yankees. I know many people hate Yankees and what they stand for. I wish it was placed somewhere else, but everything The Stadium represents is something you can't miss.

8 - PNC Park, Pittsburgh Pirates


Many of you probably know this is regarded as the prettiest park in baseball, even though there's been minimal amounts of success here. Admittedly, those people aren't wrong. For a while, it really did have the best surroundings and feel. However, there are some new places that are giving it a run for it's money. It may eventually give up the majority title in the coming years, but right now it is absolutely NOT a waste of time.

7 - Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles Dodgers


This gets it's high rank because of personal preference. To me, the Dodgers are one of the most prestigious teams out there. The place was built 52 years ago, and even with that, you would never categorize the Dodgers as 'historic' or 'classic'. While never dominant, they have had more than a few important moments in their history in both Brooklyn and LA. Thinking of all that puts it near the top of my personal list indefinitely.

6 - Target Field, Minnesota Twins


It's one of the newest, and looks beautiful. Now that the Twins are out of that god forsaken bubble, they're finally back to playing the natural way. From what I've seen and read on blogs, you can get a sense of the rustic atmosphere that fits this Northern woodland type area of the country. It may look huge, but it fits in as a relatively small part of downtown Minneapolis overall.

5 - Coors Field, Colorado Rockies


This is probably my wildcard of the group, due to one circumstance: location, location, location. It's as simple as that. The Rocky Mountain area is one of the most beautiful places in the country to visit. After a long day of sightseeing and hiking, grab a cheap seat in the Rockpile and watch a game from almost a mile up in the air with the Rockies (the team and land form) as a backdrop.

 4 - Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox


In order to be a well rounded baseball fan, it's required for one to stop in Boston. Just like Wrigley, it represents an era that is still present, but just barley. No matter what city you call home or what other parks you've seen, it's important to recognize these gems while they're still here. You can continue with this summary by listing your own reasons, because any baseball fan with half a brain has this in their top five as well.

3 - Busch Stadium, St.Louis Cardinals


Unfortunately, I'm going to have to rank these rivals pretty high. This small city and it's park provide a wonderful stop in the heart of America. The atmosphere with Cardinal fans is always passionate, rarely cocky or rude, and very knowledgeable. As much as it pains me to compliment my friends who are Cardinal fans, they're the ones that make the atmosphere what it is.

2 - Oriole Park at Camden Yards, Baltimore Orioles


This place takes so many aspects from other stadiums and rolls them all into one. There's no reason this park shouldn't be this high on the list. It's obviously a large building, but it just feels so small and quaint. There's not any major predominant features or sights, but they did all the small things right to make it a one of a kind.

Which only leaves....

1 - AT&T Park, San Francisco Giants


Just from looking at it, you feel like AT&T just happened to pop up on this little patch of spare land near one of San Fran's harbors. It naturally fits into it's surroundings without being forced to look good. This park is almost in a different category because of it's location, views, and designs. You feel like you're on a boat rather than in a big city. Inside the park, it looks like the grass is always the greenest in the league and has a nostalgic and intimate feel to it thanks to the bricks and a small seating area on the first base/right field side. This ballpark excellence was a little lucky, but also took some great ideas and design to make it number one.

****
Everything on this list is up for debate. If one of these seems out of place to you, that's a good thing; you have your own opinion and know what you want to see and what makes a good park. These rankings are just my personal preference for what *I* feel are the best ones in the country.

On the other hand, the next installment is completely the opposite. When I reorganize this list and take Ballhawking into consideration, my rankings are set in stone. They won't be up for discussion unless you also have some Ballhawk experience and can convince me why one place deserves to be ranked over another. The new list will most likely do a complete 180, as I look for and analyze certain factors that are unimportant or an afterthought to regular fans. It's putting a completely different spin on the criteria many of you used to make your own list. It will certainly take an interesting viewpoint for someone who has never chased after a ball, and will show you the most beautiful things in MY world.

No comments:

Post a Comment